Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I was raised in a unique place. My hometown of El Paso, Texas is a city that straddles the U.S.-Mexico border and bottlenecks in between the Franklin Mountains and the Juarez Mountains. This is a land marked by dichotomies. Throughout my teens the most stark of these dichotomies came in the fact that El Paso was one of the top five safest cities with a population over 500,00 in the country, while across the Rio Grande (which, that far south, is so dry most of the year it’s hardly accurate to call it Rio much less Grande) Juarez was frequently referred to as the most dangerous city in the world outside of war zones.
When this stigma first started becoming commonplace, Juarez showed few signs of being the most dangerous city in the world to those who didn’t know what they were looking for. My own family made the five-minute trip from our home into Juarez fairly frequently. In high school the recreational aspects of Juarez became more appealing and I began to venture across the river on my own. Wandering the dim-lit taverns of ‘the strip’ and drinking among the same bars as the likes of Hemmingway and the Grateful Dead gave me a sense of independence I carry to this day.
Still though, as I began to learn more and more about differences between populations in classes like Geography and World History, and words like ‘third-world country’ started becoming active pieces of my vocabulary – I was still no closer to understanding what about Juarez made it ‘third-world’ as apposed to the ‘developed world’ that lay a stone’s-throw away in El Paso. It was not until later in my high-school career that the harsh realities of just how different El Paso and Juarez are would catch up with me.
My junior year of high school brought about the opportunity to visit Juarez in a different capacity than I was used to. Members of several student groups had fundraised enough to allow for 25 students to participate in ‘Casas por Cristo’ – a non-profit organization based in Juarez that builds small, two-room homes for families in need living in the shanty-towns, called Anapara, at the outskirts of town. My mother’s demand that I start volunteering still fresh in my mind, I signed up reluctantly.
The next day, a five minute drive from school and few short feet into Juarez our van made a sharp turn onto dirt roads that made our journey more like a ride on a bronco in the rodeo than a twelve-passenger van. Twenty minutes later we arrived at an empty lot in between two houses composed almost entirely of wood scraps and cardboard. Looking around I found myself lost despite the fact that my neighborhood was in clear sight on the horizon to the north.
Over the next three days my classmates and I poured concrete, built a house-frame, installed pluming, put up dry-wall, insulated, and even had time to decorate the new house of the seven-person (and soon to be eight-person) Gonzalez family. I watched in amazement as a young couple raising three children, a nephew, and a younger sister arrived on a foggy morning, tears streaming down their faces, to see their new home.
My fears that what we had built would certainly be inadequate for such a big family were washed away as I received heart-felt hugs accompanied by sobs of gratitude from each and every member of the family. These sentiments were reinforced as our trip-leader, Juan, revealed the application of the family to the ‘Casas por Cristo’ program, which included a snapshot of their previous, tiny, one-room house, scrapped together with found objects.
It was a different person riding back towards the comforts of the ‘developed world’ in my body that afternoon. I nearly chuckled in disbelief as I thought about the fact that as a child, on my way to school, I had driven a mere 100 yards from the site where we built the Gonzalez’ home. Despite my proximity to the desolate living conditions of Anapara on a dailiy basis it took the kind of experiences that ‘casas por cristo’ offered me to change the way I thought about the differences between El Paso and Juarez.
The disparities between these two cities suddenly hit me square in face, and there was no place to hide. I became uniquely aware of the ridiculous fact that two-million plus dollar homes stood a mere half of a mile from the Gonzalez’. This new knowledge changed my trajectory in life. I could no longer ignore my privilege. This change was subtle at first, a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that let me know: athletics, friends, and grades weren’t enough anymore. I ignored this voice inside my head at first, continuing my plans to swim in college and focus on myself rather than others. I chose Kalamazoo College accordingly, the small up-and-coming division-three swimming program and when I arrived at school proceeded to focus on swimming above all priorities in my life.
As I looked around at the opportunities available to me, though, I was not satisfied with the physical challenge that swimming provided me. I wanted to be challenged emotionally, intellectually, and most of all, in a way that used my position of privilege to benefit others. Last spring, my former teammates placed forth at nationals – the best finish the men’s swimming program has ever seen – without me. I looked on, content with my decision to quit the team.
What kept me content were the memories of my experience four years ago. The tears of the Gonzalez family, the tight squeezes of the children who had running water for the first time in the life, and the smiling faces of the neighborhood children who we played soccer with at lunchtime all continue to eternalize the strength of the grave discrepancies in wealth and opportunity that mark this country and this world. Those memories will never leave me and neither will my desire to level the playing field and to expose those discrepancies to anyone who will listen.

7 comments:

  1. Pat,
    You begin to paint a really vivid picture of your hometown and its neighbor, Juarez and allow us, as the readers, to see your emotional and mental reasoning. I particularly like your honesty—volunteering was not totally your choice but a combination of your interests and your mother’s pressure. I think that’s a really honest assessment of yourself and situation and as a reader, I trust you more because of it.

    I think something that could help strengthen this piece even more would be to explore the senses. What were you smelling, hearing, or feeling when you were building this house? Was it hot? Was the work physically demanding? All of the explanation and reasoning is there and is strong; I’m just finding myself wanting more detail so that I can connect with the space and situation that left a lasting impact on you and the decisions you have subsequently made. In other, words, why should I care about Juarez just as much as you do? And I want you to show me rather than tell me.

    This is a great first draft and has so much potential. I look forward to work shopping it in class tomorrow!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,

    Your piece presents itself as a great example of the show don't tell problem so many writers face. In so much of this, I get very, very clear images of both Juarez and El Paso, especially their proximity to one another. I'm seriously floored by how well you accomplished that.

    Interestingly, though it's only written like this once, I find two sharp turns in the piece. The first is your trip to Anapara, and the second was coming to college. I think that in the college section, you can do a lot more work letting us in to your growth at the end of high school and into college. You write that this was at first a gradual change, but it seems so much more abrupt the way you tell it. Can you help reconcile that for me?

    Thanks for your words, PG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat,

    I'm really glad that you wrote this piece for this week. I've heard you talk about growing up in El Paso many times, but I never really understood what made you realize the inequities that surrounded your childhood until now.

    The way you describe Juarez, it seems as though it and El Paso must contrast with each other like night and day. So how is it that you and your friends in the US could live so long in ignorance of the difference between you and your southern neighbor? I'm not pointing any fingers here, just trying to dig a little deeper into the social forces that kept you blind to injustice for so long. How did your parents and other authority figures explain Juarez when you were a child? Were you ever warned about entering the town? And how was your life impacted by the growing debate about border control and Mexican immigration? All of these are things that I think could be further explored in the essay if you wanted to take it in a more critical direction.

    Your honesty in this piece is one of your major strengths. As Lauren pointed out, you acknowledged that volunteering to build the house was not entirely your idea, and later on, you speak very honestly to the way you resisted your new knowledge at the beginning of college. I think that this is what makes your essay real to me—it is not a personal statement about “something that changed my life” that you would find in a college admissions essay. Instead, this essay is about how place and circumstances can shape your life and offers an account of how someone with privilege can decide to make a difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jon about your detailed presentations of the two cities - both were well painted pictures that worked to bring the reader into the scene.

    You obviously encountered profound change through this event, that definitely comes across. I think it would do your essay some good to show in what ways you went with this change. Yes, you had desire to challenge yourself in ways other than just the physical challenges of swimming, but in what ways did you do so? Perhaps some examples of what you went on to do with this new initiative would be helpful in illustrating your change.

    One more quick note - and a pretty trivial one, at that - I find it somewhat difficult to read the font you're using here, though I'm not sure it affect many others. You might look into changing that, though I'm a fan of your blog design otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this piece works really well as a first person narrative that gives good insight into the wealth dichotomies between juarez and el paso. Without being overly explicit, you paint a very vivid picture of what it's like to live in El Paso and have Juarez as kind of a 3rd world escape just minutes away. You did a good job of peeling back the different layers of Juarez from an escape for you to a city where families of 8 are beyond grateful to have access to a 2-room home.
    However, I feel like the piece doesn't end very succinctly. The jump to college and swimming came very fast and I'm left at the end wondering how building homes in Juarez led you to quit the swim team.
    One of my favorite scenes was the completion of the house in Juarez and the reaction of the family because I get a sense of specific characters and reactions. I'd like to see a little more of this in other sections if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick, I really enjoy the organization of this essay. The way you describe the physical setting alongside El Paso and Juarez's connotations, is helpful to the unfamiliar reader. The references to Juarez's history and the enjoyment you found in exploring its culturally rich bars and taverns is the sort of commentary that I find most interesting! The comparison between your van ride and a bronco ride was also amusing and very descriptive. The physical closeness between the communities and the disparity in experiences between the residents of one and the other is an especially cool dichotomy to highlight.

    I found the conclusion really powerful but I wonder if maybe the shift in your focus from swimming to helping others might be made more strongly if earlier in the piece you emphasize what swimming once meant to you and then later explore the reason it no longer is the priority it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patrick,

    I liked your piece a lot. I thought it was interesting to compare your town and Juarez to first and third world countries because we see this a lot in the U.S. Poorer areas right next to very privileged. You really depict that well.

    I liked your honesty of being reluctant to volunteer. Your volunteering experience is a lot different from your swimming career which you go into. Like Mary said, I think it would be an easier transition if you talked about how swimming changed for you after your volunteering. Maybe you could bring it up when you mention how you were reluctant about volunteering, that other things like swimming were more important to you? I like the way you end, I really get a sense of what that experience meant to you.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete